Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tasting-Black Opal Shiraz

Black Opal Shiraz

Variety: Syrah
Region: South Eastern
Country: Australia
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95

Vintage Cellar description: The Black Opal wines are sourced from vineyards found in South Australia along the Limestone Coast, at Langhorne Creek and in the infamous Barossa Valley. Black Opal Shiraz is rich red in the glass. Aromas of blackberry, pepper and spice followed with rich plum flavors round out the palate. Soft tannins give structure to the fruit-driven palate."

Online tasting review: "Although it has a distinctly fruity flavor on the palate, the finish is very short and as a previous reviewer indicated "stinging." I found myself taking another sip just to replace the taste of the finish. Definitely a very full bodied and dry wine like most of the Australian Shiraz offerings. I did find that when paired with a rather heavy and meaty dish such as steak or pasta with meat sauce it settled down a bit. But, personally, this is not a "sit and sip" type of wine and should be paired with a food." (Todd Ryan, 02/08/2006)

My review: I absolutely loved this wine! I was surprised because it had a very bold smell and I thought it would be too dry to handle; but the taste shocked me! It had a complexity to it that I wasn't expecting in a $5.95 bottle of wine. There was a pepper and spice element to it and a taste of plum on the finish. It was interesting looking at review's online because it did not appear to be a favorite, but this was one of the first dry reds that I've enjoyed. I think it is a great go-to wine for occasions with friends, etc. and on a college student's budget.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment