Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wine Dinner with the Family!

I was very excited when I went for Easter to have a wine dinner with my family, and it turned out wonderfully. My parents don't normally drink a lot of wine and if they do it's usually a white wine. So I found out what we were having for dinner, which was burgers, and looked up which wines were supposed to pair the best with that meal. The overwhelming majority of sources on the internet said that Zinfandel and Shiraz were the best so I decided to buy one of each, plus a Malbec to compare. Since it was Easter a lot of family was there and they all experimented the wines. My siblings, my Aunt, my Grandma, a friend from Tech, and my parents all participated.                                                                    

       

My Dad grilled us burgers with cheddar cheese and bacon. We had corn, mashed potatoes and biscuits along with it. Since the meal wasn't anything fancy I wanted the wines to also be in a certain price range to match. I kept them under $11 to also show my parents that you don't have to spend a lot on wine to get a bottle. I think it was very eye-opening for them to see how a wine could pair well with food and it didn't have to be an extravagant meal!



Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: Non-Vintage
Price: $9.99

Winemaker's  Notes: "Every family has one. The wild one. The girl who zigs when everybody else zags…who likes skydiving better than square dancing…who has horse-trekked across Mongolia and played polo with the Prince…the sister who posts photos of herself on the yacht…the crazy, beautiful one who always keeps you on your toes. For those of you who know and love a wild one, this spicy and delicious red wine may just inspire you to break some rules. Maybe even pair red wine with fish! Also yummy with barbecued beef ribs, spicy chili, grilled lamb kabobs."

My review: This was my second Malbec ever and I disliked it as much as the first. I just find that there are a ton of tannins on the finish but not much going on in the wine. The word 'flat' comes to mind when I taste Malbecs, so from now on I will be steering clear of them.



Variety: Zinfandel
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2010
Price: $10.99

Winemaker's Notes: "Bold and vibrant notes of summer raspberry intoxicate the senses, enticing you to take a sip of this lively red zinfandel. Once on the palate, flavors of briary blackberries and ripe cranberries meld with tones of baking spices such as clove and nutmeg. Nuances are added from the young American oak, concentrating and enhancing the juicy mouthfeel. The full-bodied tannin structure relaxes into a smooth and supple finish: long, lingering and full of enjoyment.
This is a versatile wine to pair with everything from rich and unique dishes, to your favorite barbecue or weeknight take out!"

My review: I absolutely loved this wine! It was the first red zinfandel I had ever tasted and I thought it went perfectly with the meal. It had a very full-bodied smell but a subtle tannin finish to it. But there was also a slight sweetness that came out in the aftertaste so it wasn't overwhelming. 




Variety: Shiraz
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: Non-Vintage
Price: $6.00

Tasting Notes: "This Shiraz is all about the harmony between bold fruit flavors and oak. Aromas of ripe raspberries, plum and blackberries are harmoniously balanced with notes of smoky, toasty oak. Sweetness from the fire toasting of the oak, combined with the overabundance of fruit, make for a perfectly balanced wine."

My review: Definitely a smell of plum, which I think is a quality a lot of Shiraz wines possess. A hint of sweetness in wine and a very smooth taste. I like that this is a subtle red, it's not an in-your-face taste. 

I loved doing this with so many of my family members. Hearing their reactions to the different wines and attempting to describe what it tasted like to them was great. My Grandma and friend normally don't drink anything but Moscato so this was a very new experience for them. They didn't find a wine they particularly liked but they at least tried. My siblings had no experience with wine but I loved seeing them react to each bottle. They even found one they liked-the Zinfandel. My Dad, Aunt and I all favored the Zinfandel as well. I found that it had a little pep to it that went well with the food we were having. I think this wine balanced the tannins perfectly and the burger complimented that. I was surprised by my Aunt because she normally likes very dry wines, so she prefers Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignons but she enjoyed the Zinfandel. My Mom was the only one to prefer the Shiraz over the others.

I think my parents really enjoyed the wine dinner. It was very simple and it also gave me a chance to talk to them about what I have been learning in class, as well as opened discussion about the different wines. Now my parents see why I want to buy wine and not beer anymore!


They might have had a little bit too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment